Monday, July 27, 2015

EGGS major sees future coming into focus with internship

Haley Giannone has a passion for the environment and loves to get her hands dirty. So, a summer internship with the Eastern PA Coalition for Abandoned Mine Reclamation near Wilkes-Barre was the perfect match for this geography and planning major.

"I like hands-on learning," said Giannone, who is assisting EPCAMR in mine map scanning and with several environmental education programs. "Also, I wanted to gain more experience in the environmental field."

Among her internship activities have included:
  • developing educational material for programs, such as tie dye workshops
  • working with GIS
  • helping with stream assessments
  • monitoring, creating iron oxide pigment products
  • helping with conferences

"Things I've already learned in class I've actually used or have come across like my Principles of GIS course and two planning courses," Giannone said. "So when they talk about certain things at EPCAMR I actually know what they are talking about, or I can give suggestions and participate in the conversation."

No comments:

Post a Comment