Friday, April 3, 2015

Studying Abroad: The Chance of a Lifetime

Explore the possibility of studying abroad and take advantage of a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity! Attend Professional U’s Study Abroad – Take a Trip! workshop on April 20, from 5-6 pm, held at the Fenstemaker Alumni House. You’ll be able to hear from other students and BU alumni about their own experiences studying abroad. Refreshments will be provided, and this is a ZIPD approved activity (Check BOLT INTERBUS 101, 102 or 201 for details). Pre-registration is required through Husky Career Link under the Events tab – Workshops! Hope to see you all there!

So, why should you study abroad? Here's a little bit about my own semester overseas:

When I first learned that I was accepted to study abroad in Rome, Italy, for the fall semester of my junior year, I burst into tears. And not the happy kind of tears. More like the absolutely terrified kind. Sure, I had chosen to apply, but I honestly only applied because a few of my friends were also applying to study in countries across Europe and Africa. Really, that was my reasoning: if everyone else is doing it, I guess I should, too. Okay, hindsight 20/20, that should NEVER be anybody’s reason for doing anything, EVER. But, I digress. As the day I would leave loomed closer and closer, my fear didn’t abate. In fact, it got worse. I didn’t speak one word of Italian (an unopened Rosetta Stone sat collecting dust on my desk), I didn’t know anybody else who was going with me, and I had never even been out of the country before. Finally, the day of my departure arrived. I was late for my flight, cried when I said goodbye to my mom, and then I was off.

What came next was the fastest, most exhilarating, and most exciting four months of my life. I learned a new language, ate the most amazing food I’ve ever eaten, and saw the most beautiful things I’ve ever seen. I learned all about a new culture, took intriguing classes, and explored some of the most ancient places in the world. I had always heard this phrase, but never quite understood it until my semester abroad:

 
                

My time in Italy made me more outgoing, independent, and confident. It helped me to be less afraid of change, and to understand what a different culture is like. Not to mention that it’s an amazing resume builder, and something I can always talk about in a job interview!

If you’d like to learn more about studying abroad before the workshop, additional information can be found here.


  (Here I am at the Colosseum!)

-Charlotte Lotz, Graduate Assistant, Center for Professional Development and Career Experience

1 comment:

  1. I am hoping the same best effort from you in the future as well. In fact your creative writing skills has inspired me.
    フィリピン英語

    ReplyDelete